Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering Margaret Mary Conner


On this the 5th anniversary of 9/11 I am here to remember Margaret Mary Conner. She was 57 years old.
She worked as the "gatekeeper" at Cantor Fitzgerald, a receptionist who was the first person people saw when they got off the elevator on the 103rd floor of 1 World Trade Center. She is one of approximately 700 employees of Cantor Fitzgerald believed to have died in the terrorist attacks that day.
For many of the young women who worked there she was the relationship therapist. Her daughter Corrine said "she was just very open and very eager to be there for anyone".
A tribute I found left by co-worker David Bellows, said it well.
"Margaret: Your smile always greeted me in the morning. Your uplifting voice carried me through the day. You never chased me away as I sang Christian gospel to you. May you rest with the Lord. God bless. "

It is obvious to me that Margaret was loved. She lived a full life surrounded by people who loved and cared for her. While looking for information about Margaret I found many tributes to her online.
Margaret was married . She and her second husband Michael Conner* had been married for 13 years and spent nearly every moment of their free time together, often frequenting Broadway plays and dining out. They loved to dine on the Third Avenue in Bay Ridge at restaurants such as the Pearl Room and Ponte Vecchio. They enjoyed strolling along the promenade and watching the boats pass through the narrows. Everyday they recorded and watched Margaret's favorite soap opera, "The Young and The Restless"....(now that's a devoted husband). Weekends were often spent in Connecticut with Margaret's daughter (from her first marriage)and her family.

She was the second of seven children, she loved to travel and for many years resided in other parts of the country, including San Francisco and Las Vegas. She married Michael* in 1987 and moved back to New York approximately 4 years prior to 9/11. About a year after moving to New York she started working at Cantor Fitzgerald. She loved her job and the people there.

A tribute posted by her then 9 year old granddaughter Nicole said "We miss you very much". "You are very special to us and even though you are not here, we know you will always be with us each and everyday"! "We Love you".....Nicole.

Margaret was also committed to her daily Bible study. On September 11 her study passage was about the healing and renewal of God. Mr. Conner admits that after reading that passage the next day he was furious with God, but then after rereading the passage realized that God had fulfilled his message to her and she was now in a place where His ever-renewing life was coursing throughout her body.
It was important to me to do this tribute. In the past when remembering 9/11 I would always go back and read the New York Times "Portraits of Grief" that were published in the paper after 9/11. I thought it was my duty to honor as many of these people as possible by reading their stories. I would spend hours trying to get as many read as I could. I am drawn to their stories out of curiosity, yes , but more importantly from my belief that they should never be forgotten. I want Margaret's friends and family to know that I will always think of her, especially on September 11th. I am sorry that she was lost on that horrible day.
*In my research of Margaret I found two references to her husband. One given by her sister where she referred to him as Michael and in another article it stated his name as Frank. I decided to "trust" the article quoted by her sister and used Michael. If I am in error I appologize and would be happy to correct it if someone who knew them could email or post to me.

4 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Blogger Raggedy said...

Wonderful Tribute!
Thank you.
These are sad and hard to read....
I am honored to be a part of this project.
Mine is posted also...

The 2996 link is down. I have a new link on my site to view the participants.

Bless you...

 
At 1:30 AM, Blogger Walker said...

Very nice tribute
Thabk you for sharing Margrets life with us and for putting a face to a name.

 
At 2:13 AM, Blogger HP said...

A well written tribute. Thanks to you, we won't forget Margaret.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger StacyG said...

Thank you for the tribute. I was in high school 12 years ago. We cut out paper doves, one for each victim with their name on it. I still have my dove for Mary. I decided to look for more information on her today. Thank you for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home