Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I did it!

I finished my first semester back in college in 21 years. I did it and I received an "A "in Math and an "A "in a communications course I took. It was not easy, but I have to admit it was easier then I ever thought it could be. My confidence has now gone from I think I can to I know I can although things are going to get harder for me as I proceed on with my goal.

You have to understand that I was a girl who while I did well in high school my focus was on art , boys and partying as much as I could. The tales of my partying escapades would probably curl your hair. I did remain responsible as far as school went. I took algebra and geometry so I could go to college knowing full well I didn't need them to achieve my goal of becoming an artist so I really didn't apply myself nor did I remember a single thing from that era. It turns out that it is good that I don't remember a single thing from those math classes. My wonderful instructor in college taught me from scratch using "short cuts" she developed over 42 years of teaching math...she is fabulous! I found out that I am quite smart, but more than that I am determined. My husband keeps telling me that the instructors will see my effort and that it counts and by god I think he may be right. I have learned that being an older adult in college means I work harder. After all I am now paying for this endeavor literally. My parents paid for college last time and somehow now it means more that I am doing that part.

Two weeks have passed since I first started writing this post and tomorrow I start my fall semester. I will be taking 4 classes. I am nervous, but excited at the same time and oddly enough I am looking forward to my algebra class. I learned that I really like math...go figure.
Wish me luck!

Please check back on 9/11 for my tribute to Margaret Mary Conner...she was lost that horrible day 5 years ago in the World Trade Center.

4 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger origin said...

Congratulations Peg on your grades - that's great! And keep up the good work. Tenacity is 90% of success. I look forward to hearing about your experiences this fall.

 
At 2:08 AM, Blogger HP said...

Excellent news, Peg. An A in maths...I'm in awe!

 
At 1:21 AM, Blogger Dreaming again said...

Peg, I see you commenting on FD, so I know you're still around ...

How's school going?

I start this summer. Biting that algebra bullet. Decided to go for a Ph.D in psychology ... become a child psychologist!! Eeeks. I'm 43, what am I doing???? Not that you don't know that feeling ..but ...

oh boy ... registered ..financial aide in order .... panic setting in ... all ready to go ... gulp!

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Peg said...

Dreaming Again....
yes, I am still around and have virtually forgotten about this blog, but it is great to hear from you. I tried to find an email addy for you so I could reply directly, but didnt so I am posting here.
It is absolutely wonderful that you are going back to school. I remember the excitement and fear you are having now. My biggest fear at the time was math as well, but I got 3 straight A's in math and then a B in my last college algebra class that I have to take. I am now taking trigonometry which is a bit odd. I prefer regular algebra. My biggest problem now though is chemistry...it is a nightmare. I am still holding on to my dream of getting into med school, but I am also being realistic and checking out other options. No matter what I will finish my BS in Biology and then we will see where that can take me. School is hard and getting harder. It is not as easy to get an A in the upper level courses and that is basically all I have left to take. The semester is winding down with tons of exams and finals yet to take. I am looking forward to my summer vacation.
I wish you all the best with your schooling. You will do great. Do not let age be a limiting factor. One of my best pals at school right now is 19 and I am 44...we get along great!
If you need an help in algebra just drop me an email.
pstair@aol.com.
Take care,
Peggy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home